What is the HEA?
Home education is an option for the education of children and is legally endorsed by the governments in all states of Australia. It involves the parents taking responsibility to guide their children through a course of study at home. This is being achieved with great success by parents from a variety of backgrounds and educational levels, and without special training.
The HEA is non-profit volunteer association that was formed in April 2001 by Colleen and Philip Strange. HEA aims to encourage and promote the practice of home educating in Australia and to provide members with benefits which would be difficult to obtain by individuals or smaller groups, such as work experience insurance, online education discounts, and government lobbying.
The broader objectives of the HEA are:
- To uphold the principle that parents are primarily responsible for the education of their children.
- To promote a broader awareness of home education and its benefits throughout Australia.
- To promote and encourage the development of home education networks.
- To provide services and resources to home education networks and individual home educators.
- To endeavour to procure any rights, privileges, concessions or benefits relating to home education for home educators and their families.
- To maintain a respect for the diversity of philosophies and methods used by home educators.
- To use our membership size to obtain discounts and benefits for our members.
- To fund insurance cover for event organisers and work experience students.
- To support home education events and activities
HEA membership fees go towards:
HEA has thousands of Australian home educators which form the membership base. We invite all Australian home educators to join with us. We encourage and support all forms of home education. Amongst our membership we have families who use all different types of learning. We encourage and promote the freedom of choice for our members to choose their individual style of home education.
Becoming a member of the association is one way in which you can support this Australia-wide initiative to promote the practice of home education and gain access to many benefits that might otherwise be unobtainable.
In our site you’ll find an array of articles and information to help you with your home education journey. You'll find items that can be downloaded, things you can purchase, news about events in the home education arena and many other things to support you on your home education journey.
If you are interested in finding out more about HEA or home educating your child then you may like to browse our site for more information or contact us by email or phone.