New South Wales

NSW legislation allows parents to choose to educate their children at home. Home schooling is provided for in Part 7, Subdivision 5 of the Education Act 1990

We recognise and acknowledge the traditional custodians of the lands and waterways where we learn and live. We celebrate the First Peoples' unique cultural and spiritual relationship to Country and acknowledge the significance of Aboriginal cultures in Australia.


To apply for registration for homeschooling in NSW, NESA provides information on this page of their website.

The basic steps involved are 

  1. Fill in the Application form for Initial Registration and email or post. 

  2. You will be contacted generally within a week or so of application to arrange a home visit. 

  3. Prepare for the visit: you will need (as listed on the application form) - a plan linked to the NSW Syllabus, a system of record keeping, and resources to show the AP. 

HEA can provide support with putting together a plan, and recommends having an experienced home educator provide  support. For help with documentation, finding a supporter, or other support, email

For more detail see the following information document - Support for NSW Homeschooling Applicants   (PDF)

Registration is a legal requirement for home educated children from the child’s 6th birthday, but optional registration is available in line with eligibility to attend mainstream school, from the beginning of the year in which the child turns 5 by 31 July. 

Guidelines for Home Schooling Registration in NSW (PDF, 53 pages, 689KB).

Support Information - Stage Statements from NESA

The HEA Registration Support Team is available to help answer questions you may have in regards to state registration, or offer support if you need. Email While we hope you will consider membership with us, the HEA supports Australian home educators regardless of membership. 


The HEA also has a phone Helpline with experienced home educators who can assist you with any general home education questions you may have, particularly 'how to get started'. 1300 72 99 91

To apply for registration for homeschooling in NSW, NESA provides information on this page of their website.


These four steps show the registration process in a nutshell.

Down PDF version with weblinks HERE

Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 8.01.34 am.png

NSW Student Concession Cards

For a Transport Concession Entitlement Card, NSW/ACT students out of school term or home-schooled students can complete the Home Schooled Concession Application Form (pdf 273KB).

Individual applications can also be made during school holiday periods or if you are home-schooled.

Applications must be accompanied by

  • proof of identity

  • proof of age

  • if home-schooled, a copy of the Certificate of Registration issued by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) showing the year of study and course.

Be sure to prepare a photocopy or scan of any required supporting documents outlined in the form.

Upload and submit your completed application form and any supporting documents online via the Concessions application form.