Code of Ethics for HEA Committee Members, Office Bearers and Volunteers
Version 1.02 28 September 2013
Committee members and office bearers and volunteers of the association will:
- When representing the Association do so in strict accordance with its objects and principals.
- Seek approval of the committee before issuing official letters and communication on behalf of the HEA.
- Keep up to date with home education practices and legislative requirements.
- Maintain an open mind when discharging duties, and work with a voluntary spirit for the association.
- Maintain strict integrity and confidentiality in matters financial pertaining to the association
- Protect and preserve association property held in your care.
- Do not favour or allow advertising of particular types of educational materials over and above others within the association.
- Promotion of goods must be in some way to the benefit of the Association. See point four.
- Ensure members rights and responsibilities are adhered to.
- Remember parents have the right to determine their child's unique educational pathways.
- Uphold family freedom of choice and freedom from persecution.
- Do not allow parenting or educating styles to become an object of discontent in the association.
- Not hold a position inimical to home education.
- Maintain strict confidentiality when holding members details; and use only in relation to association business.
- Act in accordance with copyright laws when using association and other material.
- Be aware of personal presentation when representing the Association in an official capacity. Do nothing to bring the association into disrepute.
- Foster a good working relationship using a positive and constructive approach with Government and educational institutions; working towards minimising home education legislation.
- Discourage negative discussion of particular educative institutions within the association.
- When representing the association do not become politically affiliated with particular groups or parties.
- Maintain impartiality with regard to all types of home education and represent the association faithfully in this regard.