New South Wales

NSW legislation allows parents to choose to educate their children at home. Home schooling is provided for in Part 7, Subdivision 5 of the Education Act 1990

We recognise and acknowledge the traditional custodians of the lands and waterways where we learn and live. We celebrate the First Peoples' unique cultural and spiritual relationship to Country and acknowledge the significance of Aboriginal cultures in Australia.

Home Education in NSW

In NSW the parents' right to determine the educational pathway of their child is enshrined in law, with one of the principles on which the NSW Education Act (1990) is based being that the education of a child is primarily the responsibility of the child’s parents (4b).  The Education Act states that you must be enrolled or registered for home education

Education Act 1990

"s.4 Principles on which this Act is based

(b) the education of a child is primarily the responsibility of the child’s parents,

s.5 Principal objects of this Act

d) to allow children to be educated at home”

Registration is a legal requirement for home educated children of compulsory school age (6-17),  but optional registration is available for children turning 5 by 31 July in the year of application, and students up to, and beyond age 18. 

Home Education in NSW is regulated by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA), who are responsible for processing applications for home education. 

As at 31 December 2020, the number of registered home educated students was 7032. That represents an increase of 19.07% since 2019, and 70% over the 5 years 2016-2020. The population growth in NSW has been less than 1.5% annually over the same time period. 

NSW rego 2016-2020.png
Registering for Home Education

Application forms and the Guidelines for Homeschooling Registration in NSW can be found on on the NESA website.

Here's the process in a nutshell: 

  1. Fill in the Application form for Registration and email or post.

  2. You will be contacted  by the Authorised Person (AP) - usually by phone - to arrange a home visit.  You do not need to provide any information during this call - it is simply to make a time for the home visit. 

  3. The AP visits you in your home. Due to Covid-19, this process may occur electronically via zoom or similar. See NESA website for up to date changes to the process. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 8.01.34 am.png

Meet The HEANSW Team

To play, press and hold the enter key. To stop, release the enter key.

press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom

The HEA Registration Support Team is available to help answer questions you may have in regards to state registration, or offer support if you need. Email While we hope you will consider membership with us, the HEA supports Australian home educators regardless of membership. 


The HEA also has a phone Helpline with experienced home educators who can assist you with any general home education questions you may have, particularly 'how to get started'. 1300 72 99 91


​Preparing for the AP visit

You will need (as listed on the NESA application form):

  1. A plan linked to the NSW Syllabus,

  2. A system of record keeping,

  3. Resources to show the AP. 

There are a number of ways to show that the education program is based on the NSW syllabuses.
Many families find that using the Stage Statements of the syllabuses as a base is simple and effective. Stage statements are a brief plain-English description of each subject or ‘Key Learning Area’ (KLA) for each stage of the syllabuses.

Likewise, there is no set way to keep your records or required resources. It's helpful to read the NESA guidelines, and to refer back to these if your AP asks for particular types or numbers of records or samples. It is your responsibility to provide an education. 

HEA can provide support with putting together a plan, and recommends having an experienced home educator provide  support. For help with documentation, finding a supporter, or other support, email


Support Documents for all Home Educators:

As part of our commitment to supporting all home educators, these resources are provided free of charge for everyone.  But we'd love you to join us at the HEA! We are a member funded NFP. 

Sample plans for HEA Members:

Only members can access the below documents and you will need to use your
Request your HEA email address here if you don't yet have one.
Non-members may use the above documents. If additional individual support is needed, please email 


"At first, we just thought of the HEA as just another good place to get information, perhaps also a good place for some general guidance &/or at least, just for some more ‘tips’. However, little did we know that we were going to be, not only guided & supported, but we turned out to be nurtured & assisted in a way far, far beyond our expectations.


The level of help has been absolutely astounding & we just simply cannot be grateful enough for the support we’ve received. "


"The HEA has been so supportive and a wealth of information that has helped me on my journey. It's so empowering to know where you stand and be able to use your voice accordingly.  Thank you again, I love all the support and advice the HEA so generously gives."



NSW Home Educators Discussion Forum

All NSW Home Educators are invited to join our discussion forum. It's free to join (regardless of HEA membership). If you are looking for a place to ask discuss all things home education, or get support with registration, or invite others to your local home ed events, then this group is for you. Our NSW team are ready and waiting to chat with you. 

HEA NSW logo_edited.jpg

State Resources for Home Educators


Registered Home Educated Students aged 15 and over are eligible for Smart & Skilled funding to access TAFE courses. TAFE. TAFE courses may be included as part of the learning plan for home educated Students.